Tuesday 14 December 2010

The Evolutionary Sound

These last few weeks have been all about organizing my trip to Berlin with my band and researching possible intern positions for artist management in the new year. The only real creative achievement I've managed in the last two weeks, was some screen writing for a short film we want to shoot in Berlin and drawing a controversial comic... It's not a lot, but thank god blogs seem to somewhat feed my creative soul, at least temporarily.

I just came away writing 1,000 words for someone who wanted to know my process on being an artist whilst simultaneously learning the trade of the business side within the music industry. It was a good task to do actually, because it reminded me of all the things I've achieved in these last two years. It's been quite the ride actually. These last two years. And there's this warm balloon filling my gut, I think, this is what I would call, pride.

At times I find we're all like machines; we work and work and forget that the days have even passed. Where has the time gone? What! It's already coming up to Christmas? Thoughts like that make me wonder if I've been living every moment to the full extent I wanted to. I know I'm happy, I feel incredibly happy, but why are the days disappearing so quickly? Yes, the winter steals away a lot of the daytime, and already at five in the evening I'm hungry for dinner, fooled to think it's eight o'clock. Thank god I don't own an iPhone (yet) because most of the people I know who have them, are slaves to this pocket machine. And with all of this information zipping about like hungry flies, our minds must be over-worked and exhausted.

This is why it's good for me to take an hour or so, best times are during traveling with the lulling of a bus, to recount all the successes I've achieved. Our minds work better on positive thoughts, so we might as well stop beating ourselves up for little things. It's ok to look at your work and figure out ways on how to improve it, but in the end, the fact that you did good work is already a success.

I've known too many people in my time who were afraid to live their lives. They'd spend a lot of their time coming up with great ideas, but already in their minds they'd execute them, which usually didn't leave them much room to actually go out there and do it. It always surprised me when listening to these people talk (and they would talk a lot), that when I asked them how they were going to achieve their ideas, they couldn't really give a coherent answer. That's probably because they either enjoyed the idea more than the reality or they weren't thinking practically enough on how to reach their goal. You see, it's one thing to have a dream, it's another trying to achieve it and with that comes practical solutions to overcome obstacles. In the end I began to lose faith in those who talked more than walked their talk and I couldn't trust them.

After many experiences with these negative people, I knew I had to change my pattern and move onto things that were healthier for me. I was tired of getting drained and I needed to find more people like me. You see, if you're surrounding yourself with the right kind of energy, this vibrant energy has the potential to help you stay positive and get you those things you want and you would get them, the right way.

Shut your eyes. Think of nothing else, but the black behind your eyelids. Take a deep breath, feel your stomach fill with warm air, focus on the skin around your stomach stretch as you balloon your tummy with good air. Exhale slowly. Think back to the last time something really good happened to you. Remember the feeling, that happy feeling that tickles your heart, makes you smile. Remember the smells from that happy day, what the time was, the temperature of the air, the sounds this magical moment created...

By focusing on those pleasant things, you're already reducing your stress levels and you're releasing serotonin, which is the 'happy' hormone.

By having this positive feeling, you can now focus on your work, you can once again remind yourself of your mission in life and free yourself from any unnecessary negative thoughts.

It's true when they say if you put your mind to it, you can do anything. You just have to want it for the right reasons.

"My life is an experiment... I might as well take my chances..."
- B. Raine

No comments:

Post a Comment