Wednesday 5 January 2011

I Heart Berlin!

It's just been over two days and I'm already falling head over heals in love with... Berlin.

Yesterday we decided to wander around the city, get our bearings straight and embrace the atmosphere. We probably walked in total a good 9K and although it doesn't sound like a lot, most of the time our focus was on trying not to slip on the ice, so you end up using muscles you didn't think existed. We also visited the Brandenburger Tor to see where one of our gigs will be taking place; an outdoor show for a demonstration against genetic food modification.

What got me thinking the most in these last two days, is how relaxed Berlin as a city is. The streets are wide, the air is fresh and seemingly cleaner than London and there seems to be more space because there's no over-crowding. And because of this freedom within these streets of Berlin, my mind feels freer to wander around and soak everything up without having to dodge people. I've come to realize that it's taken me a good four years in London to master my creative process, because the city's so busy with hustle and bustle that I used to get distracted from my work. But here in Berlin, we set up our studio, we begin our recording, I simultaneously paint, whilst the guitars are being recorded, and I don't feel this closing wall I usually do in London, I can just focus on art. Maybe this has also to do with the fact that Ben and I can really take this month out to focus on our work without any other commitments than to each other and our art.

But I have to say, it's really nice to be able to do this adventure, to be able to feel relaxed and work away, then later pop out to a local bar, meet new people, practice my German and enjoy life the way it should be.

Our flat is also quite the gem. Wooden floors, minimalist but effective interior designing and enough rooms for us to separate for a couple of hours, work on our own things and then reunite. It's quite astounding how balanced one can feel when you have the time to focus on what matters to you the most. This is probably what every human wants and needs in order to live as long as possible. I'm feeling something stronger than just content, because I'm still motivated and ambitious, but there's peace within me as well... I always thought being content is about being at peace... But some of my friends find being content is usually a hole they've dug themselves into where the adventures in life suddenly have stopped...

So I don't know the exact words to describe what I'm feeling, but it's a mixture between love, ambition, motivation and an endless hunger.

I say feast upon life as much as your belly can handle. It's ok to be greedy as long as you're not fucking someone else over in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment